Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Inspiration

I have always had an attraction to all things vintage. From the music and clothing, to the happy housewife persona and swing dancing. Yes, I am pretty sure I was born in the wrong decade.

It all started with listening to my grandma's stories and seeing photos of her and my grandfather. I used to imagine what it would have been like to see my grandpa as a younger man and to watch my grandma, as a young wife, say her goodbyes as he headed out to sea with the Merchant Marines.

I had many early influences. My mother, a suburban housewife, was an immaculate housekeeper, seamstress, and decorator. She was everything I wanted to be. She WAS the 1950's housewife. Her sister was the same. My aunt, also a collector, was the first person to introduce me to barkcloth, carnival glass, teak furniture, and vintage valentines.

By the time I was 17 I had begun collecting vintage hats and took an interest in pin up girls from some of the more well-known arists such as Elvgrin, Petty, and Vargas. These images covered the walls of my dorm room in college.

In college I began dating Brent. He, in a way, was another addition to my collection. The first time I met him he was wearing a vintage button up shirt and had perfect Elvis-esque sideburns. When he later wore a salvaged old western shirt I knew he would have to be mine!

During my college weekends we began hitting thrift stores and flea markets. Brent and I would buy little odds and ends and the occasional piece of vintage clothing.

After graduating college we were married and bought a home. It was a little 1950's craftsman bungalow. It had all of the darling details one might expect from a home that age. Hardwood floors, beautiful crown moulding, built in shelving framing a little fireplace, and high ceilings. It was the perfect place to start a REAL collection. We hit every flea market, yard sale, and thrift store we could find. We rummaged through our families basements and garages, and began decorating our home as if it were actually from the 1950's.

Two years after moving into the craftsman bungalow I found out I was pregnant with our little boy, Oscar. It was time to upsize. As much as we were pained to leave our little dream home, we knew we had outgrown it.

For what our new home lacked in character it made up with in size. It was a 2,000 SF, 4 bedroom rancher on almost a full acre of land. We lived there 5 years and although we liked the house, we missed the charm that only a retro home can offer so we listed it for sale and began house hunting. We looked at several homes on realtor.com and narrowed our search down to 3 mid-century homes. We drove past the first 2 and were disappointed, but as we drove past the 3rd it was love at first sight.

837 Echo Road - it is this 1963 mid-century modern home that has inspired this blog. Please follow us as we restore and work towards maintaining the authenticity of this wonderful time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment